University of Plymouth Medicine Interview Questions
Past Interview Questions & Tips
Plymouth Medicine Interview Format (Historically)
The University of Plymouth uses the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format with approximately 7 MMI stations. Candidates will have one minute outside each station followed by 5 minutes to complete the station. Stations will vary from traditional interviews to role plays and practical tasks. Candidates have previously been assessed on the following attributes:
- Integrity and honesty
- Motivation and commitment
- Pro-social attitudes e.g. students who show empathy and who are non-judgmental
- Communication skills, including listening
- Potential for leadership
- Students who show insight into what it is to be a doctor
- The ability to be a team player
- Students who demonstrate a suitable approach to life and people and can deal with stress appropriately.
- Problem solving skills
- Students who know their limitations, their strengths and weaknesses and are reflective.
COVID-19 Update For 2022 Entry
Interviews will be conducted online for the 2021-2022 cycle. They will continue to follow an MMI structure. You will be assessed over four stations. Each will have a single assessor. The entire interview process will take around 50 minutes.
Plymouth Medicine Key Application & Interview Statistics
Overall Success Rate (Total Applicants : Total Spaces)
Percentage of Candidates Interviewed
Interviewee Success Rate
Before the Interview
- Reflect on your work experience and ensure that you can identify the key skills that you have obtained through them, and how these lend themselves to both your future study and chosen career.
- Practice making notes on and then discussing ethical scenarios with either friends or family, ensuring that you can support your position with well considered arguments.
- Ensure that you have revised the four ethical principles as a large proportion of the interview is focused on the ethical scenario that you choose.
- Practice mock interviews with family, friends and Interview Specialists ensuring that you receive detailed feedback on your answers. This will allow you to gain more confidence in answering questions and will hopefully relieve some of the pressure of the interview.
Optimise Your Interview Performance
Learn the best interview strategies and practice with past interview questions & model answers.
University of Plymouth Medicine Past MMI Stations & Interview Questions
Ethical Scenario: This is the main focus of the interview for Plymouth University, thus most of the questions asked will be related to this. You will be given three generic ethical scenarios to read through and then make notes on one of these. Pens and paper are supplied. You are allowed to refer to these notes in the interview; however you must give them to one of the panel members before leaving the interview room. The questions are the same for each candidate irrespective of the choice you make and are not meant to examine your knowledge but provide insight into your ability to effectively communicate as well as your attitudes, way of thinking and potential. Examples of ethical scenarios which could be used are:
- The day before your final exam, one of your family members passes away. How will you deal with this situation? How will you manage your studies in such a crisis?
- A young woman suffering from AIDS comes over to your clinic and asks you to not inform her spouse. What will you do?
- A seven year old child is suffering from cancer. The child’s life expectancy is approximately five months. How will you inform her parents?
Self-reflective Questions: These questions could be focused on your work experience or your ability to work as part of a team. The questions may include some of the following:
- Give an example of a time where you have had to deal with a difficult situation.
- Tell us how you dealt with…
- What did you learn from….?
Medicine Interview Mark Schemes
MMI Question Bank
500+ Questions, Model Answers with Expert Techniques & Simulated Interview Circuits
Past Interview Questions
Free Past Medical School Interview Questions & University Specific Techniques
MMI Interview Courses
20+ Interview Stations & Expert Feedback. The Leading MMI Interview Preparation Course, Taught By Medical School Interviewers & Interview Specialists.