University of Liverpool Medicine Interview Questions
Past Interview Questions & Tips
Liverpool Medicine Interview Format
For 2023, Liverpool will use an online semi-structured interview. These interviews are scheduled for from January until February 2023.
The admissions process is designed to be fully in line with the General Medical Council’s Selecting for Excellence Report and Values Based Recruitment.
Historical Interview Information
Liverpool University typically used a seven-station multiple mini interview (MMI). Each station was six-minutes in duration with a one-minute break between. The main attributes assessed were:
- Learning from work experience/caring contribution
The first four attributes were scored as poor, satisfactory, good, very good or excellent, and then converted to a numerical score. The numeracy component was scored on a point basis, with each correct answer being worth one point and contributing to the candidate’s overall score in the interview (there were a maximum of 120 points that can be scored in the interview).
Liverpool Medicine Key Application & Interview Statistics
Overall Success Rate (Total Applicants : Total Spaces)
Percentage of Candidates Interviewed
Interviewee Success Rate
Before the Interview
- Read and re-read your personal statement and ensure that you know it well. Liverpool University encourages applicants to be able to ‘elaborate on poorer than expected performance/mitigating circumstances’. Therefore, ensure that you are prepared to discuss these.
- Reflect on your work experience and ensure that you can produce evidence of your teamwork, empathy, and motivation as well as what you have learned during this time that can be applied to your future study and career.
- Research the course Liverpool University offers and be able to discuss what makes studying there attractive. This includes the pros and cons of PBL and how this style of teaching and learning suits you.
- Research the extra-curricular activities that are on offer and have an idea of which of these you may get involved in.
- Read the statement on ‘the core values and attributes needed to study medicine’ and ‘work experience guidelines for applicants to medicine’.
- Learn the four pillars of ethics and practice applying them to different medical scenarios.
- Keep up-to-date with issues which affect the NHS and medical community.
Optimise Your Interview Performance
Learn the best interview strategies and practice with past interview questions & model answers.
University of Liverpool Medicine Past MMI Stations & Interview Questions
Motivation and Insight into Medicine – This station will not only examine your motivation to study medicine but also your genuine interest in the medical profession and medical based topics. Recent questions have included:
- Why have you chosen to study Medicine?
- Why have you decided to study at Liverpool?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of PBL and the aspects that you feel will suit you?
- Additional questions can be found in the Online MMI Question Bank
General/Personal Statement Station – This station will involve typical interview questions regarding the attributes you possess, such as your ability to work as a member of a team, your ability to take responsibility for your actions, honesty and be self-reflective.
Ethical Scenarios – The ethics station consists of two six-minute stations. In the first station, applicants will be given an ethical scenario to consider and are allowed to make notes. In the subsequent station, an interviewer will lead a discussion on the scenario. For further details on how to approach Ethical Scenarios as well as a range of practice scenarios with model answers, subscribe to the Online MMI Question Bank.
Calculation Tasks – The numeracy station usually involves five questions with multiple choice options as well as a calculator provided. The challenge is often more related to deciphering relevant information than completing complex calculations. Questions may also involve drug, dosage and flow rate calculations which are likely to be unfamiliar to many candidates. For a range of practice calculation tasks as well as techniques for these question types, review the Online MMI Question Bank.
Medicine Interview Mark Schemes
Click Here (Available to MMI Interview Course Attendees)
MMI Question Bank
500+ Questions, Model Answers with Expert Techniques & Simulated Interview Circuits
Past Interview Questions
Free Past Medical School Interview Questions & University Specific Techniques
MMI Interview Courses
20+ Interview Stations & Expert Feedback. The Leading MMI Interview Preparation Course, Taught By Medical School Interviewers & Interview Specialists.