University of Glasgow Medicine Interview Questions
Past Interview Questions & Tips
Glasgow Medicine Interview Format (Historically)
The University of Glasgow uses two panel interviews to makes its selection. The entire interview session lasts around 30 minutes with candidates swapping panels at mid-point. There are two interviewers on each panel and are usually a combination of medical school staff, consultants and honorary members of the university. Candidates are divided into two groups, A and B depending on the panel that they will be meeting first. One panel’s questions are based on one of two scenarios in which the candidate choose (reading time is provided prior to meeting the panel). The other panel focuses on general/personal statement questions.
COVID-19 Update For 2022 Entry
Interviews for Glasgow will be conducted online for the 2022 intake, using Zoom. Expect the interview session to last around half an hour, and be divided between two panels. The first will explore ‘what being a doctor means’ and the second will focus on ‘the applicant as a future doctor’ and include an ethics component, which candidates will be able to choose from two options.
Interviews are usually conducted between the months of December and February.
Glasgow Medicine Key Application & Interview Statistics
Overall Success Rate (Total Applicants : Total Spaces)
Percentage of Candidates Interviewed
Interviewee Success Rate
Before the Interview
- Revisit your personal statement, ensure that you know it thoroughly and can talk at length about its contents.
- Consider your personal characteristics, especially those which lend themselves to a career in medicine.
- Think of examples of your achievements and experiences and more importantly the skills that you have gained from these.
- Explore what being a doctor means and the related themes or topics around this. You need to be able to articulate why you wish to study medicine.
- Download and read the Glasgow Medical School MBChB handbook so that you are familiar with the four phases of their curriculum and well as their problem-based approach to learning.
- Remain up-to-date with any medical “hot topics” and those issues affecting the NHS.
Interview Focal Points
The interview has two main parts:
- Personal Statement and Typical Medical School Questions (12-15 minutes) – This part of the interview will allow you to generally dictate which parts of your personal statement that you would like to showcase. Ensuring that you can discuss the curriculum in-depth and current issues affecting both Scotland and the rest of the UK is also paramount to your success in front of this panel.
- Problem-solving in a Scenario Setting (12-15 minutes) – You will be given the option to select one of two scenarios prior to their interview. You will discuss the issues around the scenario with the panel.
Optimise Your Interview Performance
Learn the best interview strategies and practice with past interview questions & model answers.
University of Glasgow Medicine Past MMI Stations & Interview Questions
- Why do you want to study Medicine?
- Why do you want to become a doctor?
- Why Glasgow Medical School?
- The MBChB programme is organised into 4 phases, explain each.
- Why problem-based learning?
- Why this area of Scotland?
- Tell us about your hobbies and/or charity work
- Tell us about a time that you worked as part of a team.
- How would your colleagues/peers describe you?
- Tell us about your experience of hospital attachment
- Tell me about your voluntary work experience
Attributes of a Good Doctor
- What are the key qualities necessary to be a doctor?
- What makes a good doctor?
Science/Medical Based Questions
- Evidence of interest in medicine (current topical issues)
- Latest medical issue and how it will affect your practice.
- What are the health issues Glasgow is facing compared to other areas?
- Why does Glasgow have such high rates of heart disease?
Medicine Interview Mark Schemes
MMI Question Bank
500+ Questions, Model Answers with Expert Techniques & Simulated Interview Circuits
Past Interview Questions
Free Past Medical School Interview Questions & University Specific Techniques
MMI Interview Courses
20+ Interview Stations & Expert Feedback. The Leading MMI Interview Preparation Course, Taught By Medical School Interviewers & Interview Specialists.