The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Interview Questions
Pharmacy Application & Interview Preparation Specialists
The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy is renowned for its innovation and commitment to healthcare education. Its PharmD program stands out for its state-of-the-art, 296,000 square-foot facility, designed to foster interdisciplinary learning, innovation, and research. The program prioritises experiential learning, incorporating a significant amount of real-world practice, alongside an innovative curriculum that blends foundational science with patient care. The program’s Clinical and Professional Skills Lab allows students to practise patient care in a safe, simulated environment before entering practice settings. The college also boasts a strong research focus, providing students with opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research, with faculty specialising in areas such as drug discovery, health outcomes, and nanotechnology. It additionally promotes a culture of mentorship, with students benefiting from the guidance of dedicated faculty members. This holistic approach to pharmacy education has earned the University of Iowa a reputation for producing well-rounded, capable pharmacists who are prepared to meet the evolving needs of healthcare.
The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Interview Format
Expect a 30 minute closed-file interview with a panel of two interviewers, as well as a written essay, a tour, and the chance to ask questions of faculty and students.
Pharmacy Application Support
One to One Support With A Pharmacy Specialist. Optimise Your Preparation; Secure Your First Choice Place.
Resources & Articles
Tips, Techniques & Insight from Pharmacy Interviewers & Practising Pharmacists.
The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Key Application & Interview Statistics
Overall Success Rate (Total Applicants : Total Spaces)
Interview Focal Points
The interview here focuses on leadership, your preparation for the interview itself, the challenges of Pharmacy school, communication, values when working in a team, Pharmacy as a profession and the future of Pharmacy, and conflict resolution.
Pharmacy Application Services
Tailor and optimise your Pharmacy Application with our 1-1 Specialists or prepare in your own time with our Pharmacy University Online Course & Question Bank
The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Past Interview Questions
- Tell us about a time when you had to lead a team. What was the outcome?
- Can you provide an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision as a leader?
- How would you motivate a team under your leadership that was performing poorly?
- Describe a situation where your leadership skills were challenged.
- How would you handle a situation where someone in your team was not fulfilling their responsibilities?
Your Preparation for the Interview
- How have you prepared yourself for the challenges of pharmacy school?
- What steps have you taken to understand the responsibilities and tasks of a pharmacist?
- What research did you do to prepare for this interview?
- How have you prepared for the academic rigours of a PharmD program?
Challenges of Pharmacy School
- How do you plan to handle the academic load of pharmacy school?
- Pharmacy school can be stressful. How do you plan to manage stress?
- How do you intend to balance your time between study, work, and personal activities while in pharmacy school?
- How would you handle falling behind in your studies?
- How would you deal with a patient who is not following their medication regimen?
- Can you share an instance where your communication skills improved a situation?
- How do you handle giving bad news to someone?
- How would you communicate complex medical terms to a layperson?
Values when Working in a Team
- What role do you typically take on in a team setting?
- How do you handle disagreements within a team?
- How have your team values helped you in a difficult team situation?
- What values do you think are most important when working as part of a healthcare team?
Pharmacy as a Profession and the Future of Pharmacy
- Why do you think pharmacy is a vital profession?
- How do you see the role of pharmacists evolving in the future?
- What do you think will be your biggest challenge as a pharmacist?
- What impact do you hope to make on the field of pharmacy?
- Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict among team members.
- How would you handle a conflict with a supervisor or professor?
- Can you share an instance where you mediated a dispute between others?
- How would you resolve a situation where a patient disagreed with your professional advice?
- Can you discuss a recent pharmaceutical breakthrough that has caught your attention?
- How do you think pharmacists can better advocate for their profession?
- What role do you think pharmacists play in reducing healthcare disparities?
- Can you discuss an example of a pharmacist’s role in healthcare that is often overlooked?
- How do you feel about pharmacists being given prescribing rights for certain conditions?
Pharmacy University Online Course & Question Bank
Articles & Resources