Reigate Grammar School 11+ Past Papers and Answers
Eleven-Plus Preparation Specialists
Reigate Grammar School 11+ Overview & Information
Reigate Grammar School (RGS), established in 1675, is a renowned co-educational independent day school situated in Reigate, Surrey. The school is distinguished for its comprehensive curriculum and diverse co-curricular offerings, which include modern languages, design and technology, drama, music, art, computing, and sports, among others. RGS is praised for its ability to nurture individual talents and abilities, providing an educational environment that fosters academic excellence and personal growth. The Independent Schools Inspectorate has rated RGS as ‘excellent in all areas,’ a testament to its high educational standards and commitment to student development.
Reigate Grammar School 11+ Test Format
The 11+ entrance examination at Reigate Grammar School consists of three main components:
Mathematics: This 45-minute written test assesses students’ understanding of the Key Stage 2 national curriculum, covering areas such as numerical reasoning, shapes, space, algebra, fractions, decimals, percentages, and data interpretation. The test aims to evaluate the students’ problem-solving abilities and mathematical understanding.
English: Lasting 60 minutes, the English paper is divided into comprehension and creative writing sections. The comprehension part tests the students’ ability to understand and interpret text, while the creative writing section evaluates their composition skills, creativity, sentence structure, use of literary devices, and overall organisation.
Reasoning: This component includes both verbal and non-verbal reasoning, focusing on language-based problem-solving skills and visual-spatial reasoning abilities. It tests the students’ ability to recognize patterns, understand sequences, and apply logical thinking in various contexts.
Techniques, Tutorials & Past 11+ Questions With Example Answers
One to One Support With An 11+ Specialist. Optimise Your Child’s Preparation; Maximise Their Success Rate.
Resources & Articles
Tips, Techniques & Insight from 11+ Specialists & Application Veterans
Reigate Grammar School 11+ Past Papers and Answers
English Sample Paper 1
Maths Sample Paper 1
Maths Sample Paper 2
Maths Sample Paper 3
Reigate Grammar School Ranking
RGS ranked 48th of all UK independent schools, and 18th in the Southeast region. It was also in the top 5 coeducational schools in the country.
Tailor and optimise your child’s 11+ Preparation with our 1-1 Eleven-Plus Preparation Specialists or prepare in your own time with our 11+ Online Course & Question Bank
Reigate Grammar School 11+ Commonly Tested Areas & Exam Tips
Preparing for the Reigate Grammar School (RGS) 11+ exams requires a focused approach, with an emphasis on the specific areas that are commonly tested. Here are some detailed tips and strategies for each of the three main components of the test:
Mathematics Exam Tips:
- Mastery of Key Stage 2 Curriculum: Ensure your child has a thorough understanding of the Key Stage 2 mathematics curriculum. This includes concepts like fractions, decimals, percentages, algebra, and geometry.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Develop strong problem-solving skills by practising a variety of question types, including word problems and abstract puzzles. Encourage your child to explain their reasoning process, which can help clarify their understanding.
- Practice Under Timed Conditions: Regular practice under timed conditions can help improve speed and accuracy, which are crucial for the exam.
English Exam Tips:
- Reading Comprehension: Encourage extensive reading across different genres to improve comprehension skills. Discussing the material can help deepen understanding and interpretive skills.
- Creative Writing: Practise writing essays and stories, focusing on structure, narrative flow, and descriptive language. Attention should be given to grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Vocabulary Development: Regularly introduce new vocabulary words and encourage their use in writing and conversation. This can enhance both comprehension and creative writing sections of the exam.
Reasoning Exam Tips:
- Verbal Reasoning: Engage in activities that develop language skills, such as word games, puzzles, and reading comprehension exercises.
- Non-Verbal Reasoning: Practice with spatial and pattern recognition puzzles. Activities like assembling jigsaw puzzles or playing strategy games can be beneficial.
- Familiarisation with Question Types: Use practice materials to become familiar with the various types of verbal and non-verbal reasoning questions.
Additional broader tips include:
- Time Management: Develop time management skills by practising with timed tests. This helps students learn how to allocate their time effectively across different sections of the exam, ensuring that they can complete all questions within the allotted time.
- Regular Revision: Establish a consistent revision schedule, allowing your child to revisit and reinforce key concepts regularly. This prevents cramming and helps with long-term retention of information.
- Mock Exams: Simulate the exam environment with full-length mock exams. This not only familiarises students with the exam format but also helps reduce anxiety and builds confidence.
- Seeking Help When Needed: Encourage your child to seek help whenever they struggle with certain topics. This could be from teachers, tutors, or even educational resources online.
Reigate Grammar School 11+ Success Rate
RGS does not publicly reveal the applicant success rate at 11+.