International American University (IAU) Interview Questions
Overview & Tuition Fees
Located in the island of St. Lucia, the International American University (IAU) is a premier medical school in the Caribbean, offering a robust and competitive MD program. The school was established with a mission to provide a quality medical education to students, fostering their growth as compassionate healthcare professionals. IAU stands out due to its intensive and comprehensive curriculum that provides students with the clinical experience and knowledge necessary to practise medicine in any part of the world.
IAU follows a US-style curriculum, beginning with two years of pre-clinical studies followed by two years of clinical rotations. Notably, the university ensures the continuous growth of its students through practical sessions, case studies, problem-based learning (PBL), interactive discussions, and lectures.
As for the tuition fees, IAU offers a cost-effective program. The basic science tuition fee is approximately $4,500 per trimester. For clinical sciences, it’s roughly $7,500 per trimester. However, tuition fees can change over time and it is always a good idea to confirm the latest costs on the official website or by contacting the university directly.
The interview process at IAU focuses on identifying students who are passionate, motivated, and committed to medicine. The interview aims to delve into a candidate’s understanding of the medical profession, their reasons for choosing medicine, and their interest in IAU.
IAU conducts both in-person and virtual interviews depending on the circumstances. The interview is semi-structured, lasting around 30 to 60 minutes, and is usually held with a panel that may include faculty members, admissions officers, and sometimes current students or alumni.
The panel seeks to understand the candidate’s journey towards medicine, their academics, experiences in healthcare, volunteering, extracurricular activities, and any research experience they might have. It’s an opportunity for candidates to showcase their commitment to the medical profession, their resilience, ethical understanding, and communication skills.
Medical Interview Question Bank
500+ Questions, Model Answers with Expert Techniques & Simulated Interview Circuits
CASPer Online Course
Succeed in the CASPer exam used by Caribbean and US Medical Schools.
Medical Interview Courses
20+ Interview Stations & Expert Feedback. Taught By Medical School Interview Specialists.
Does IAU Use the CASPer?
The International American University does not use the CASPer test as part of its admission process. However, it is always advisable to check the latest admission requirements on the university’s official website or directly reach out to the admissions office. A change in requirements can occur, as institutions continually review their admissions procedures to select the most suitable candidates.
Optimise Your Interview Performance
Learn the best interview strategies and practice with past interview questions & model answers.
Example Interview Questions
- Describe a time you had to make an ethical decision. What factors influenced your choice?
- How would you handle a situation where a patient refuses potentially life-saving treatment due to their beliefs?
- If you discovered a classmate cheating on an exam, what would you do?
- Discuss a current ethical issue in healthcare that interests you. Why is it significant?
Personal Insight Questions
- What drives your interest in medicine?
- How do you handle stress and pressure? Can you provide an example?
- Can you discuss a time when you faced failure and how you handled it?
- Describe a personal achievement that you are particularly proud of.
Healthcare and Medical Knowledge Questions
- How do you see the future of medicine evolving?
- What are your thoughts on universal healthcare?
- How should a physician handle patients with habits that are harmful to their health, such as smoking or poor diet?
- Can you discuss an ongoing challenge in the healthcare system and how it might be addressed?
- If a patient asked you about a treatment you knew little about, how would you respond?
- How would you approach a conversation with a patient who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness?
- How would you handle a situation where a patient’s family disagrees with the patient’s treatment decisions?
- A patient is becoming increasingly frustrated and confrontational during an examination. How do you handle it?
IAU Specific Questions
- What makes IAU the right fit for you?
- How do you see yourself contributing to our university community?
- How do you plan on handling the cultural differences while studying at IAU in St. Lucia?
- How do you think studying medicine at IAU will help you achieve your career goals?
Teamwork and Communication Questions
- Describe a time you worked as part of a team. What was your role, and what was the outcome?
- Can you discuss a situation where you had a conflict with a team member? How was it resolved?
- How would you react if a senior colleague gave you feedback that you disagreed with?
- What qualities do you think are important for effective communication in healthcare?