Dundee Dentistry Interview Questions & Tips
Past Interview Questions & Tips
Dundee Dentistry Interview Format
Dundee receives around 370 applicants per year, of whom around 250 will be invited to interview. Of that 250, 130 will then be given an offer. Dundee holds interviews between December and February and invites for interview based on the UCAT and academic achievement to date, including predicted grades.
Interviews are now conducted using a panel format. They take place online.
You will be required to consider ethical dilemmas, role play situations, and more traditional questions. Dundee are looking for an ability to think critically, to be flexible, and to think on your feet. They will assess ‘thinking skills, personal values, and your ability to communicate.’ Lastly, Dundee emphasise that they are looking for caring individuals who have shown that they work hard.
Dundee Dentistry Key Application & Interview Statistics
Overall Success Rate (Total Applicants : Total Spaces)
Percentage of Candidates Interviewed
Interviewee Success Rate
Optimise Your Interview Performance
Learn the best interview strategies and practice with past interview questions & model answers.
Dundee Dentistry Past MMI Stations & Interview Questions
- Imagine that one of your fellow students has told you that they are using an online ‘essay factory’ to produce their semester’s assignment. They explain that through this service they are guaranteed a high mark, as their essay will be written by a qualified dentist experienced in writing such essays. How would you approach this situation, and what issues are important to note?
- Imagine that you are on your final placement at dentistry school. Here, you are expected to work largely independently. However, you have noticed that your supervisor is frequently late or misses your assigned meetings. When you do see them, you note that they smell strongly of alcohol and are dressed unprofessionally. For this situation, role play what would you say to your supervisor; your interviewer will play the role of your supervisor.
- Whilst on placement, you overhear one of your fellow students making disparaging remarks about patients behind their backs. They comment on the patients’ supposed lack of education, and express the patients, ‘shouldn’t be allowed to choose their own care… they don’t know what’s good for them anyway.’ You decide to speak to your fellow student about their attitude – what might you say to them?
- Imagine that you are on placement whilst studying here at Dundee. A patient has approached you, and asked if you can tell them about the results of their recent clinical appraisal. They are hoping to get braces on the NHS – as of yet the dentist has not told them whether they are suitable, and they have been waiting for over an hour. You know the dentist’s decision (they are not eligible to receive braces). How would you approach this?
- What surprised you most during your work experience?
- What would you improve about the practice that you undertook work experience at?
- What challenges did you see the dentists that you were shadowing take on? How did they approach these difficult situations, and what did you learn from seeing them?
- What volunteering work, or other work in a caring capacity, have you taken on?
- Have you fulfilled a mentoring role at school or elsewhere?
- Tell us about a time when you showed empathy, and how this empathy helped the other person.
- What characteristics are most important to a dentist?
- What qualities do you see in yourself that are especially important to someone looking to become a dentist?
- What qualities did you notice in the dentists that you shadowed that you would highlight as being vital?
- What weaknesses do you have that you believe you should work on?
- Are you a good team player?
- Are you good at communicating with others with honesty and integrity? Can you tell us about a time when you had to be honest with someone else?
- How can you illustrate your motivation to study dentistry to us?
- Being a dentist is demanding, both in terms of hours worked and emotional resilience. How have you shown your ability to withstand pressure, hard work and setbacks so far?
- Do you play a musical instrument, or practice another skill that shows your manual dexterity?
Dentistry Interview Hot Topics & Interview Techniques
Click Here (Available to Dentistry MMI Question Bank subscribers)
MMI Question Bank
200+ Questions, Model Answers with Expert Techniques & Simulated Interview Circuits
Past Interview Questions
Free Past Dental School Interview Questions & University Specific Techniques
MMI Interview Courses
20+ Interview Stations & Expert Feedback. The Leading MMI Interview Preparation Course, Taught By Interview Specialists.