Avalon University School of Medicine: Interview Questions
Overview & Tuition Fees
Avalon University School of Medicine (AUSOM) is situated in Curaçao, a small island nation off the coast of Venezuela. As a Caribbean medical school, AUSOM is part of a region renowned for offering accessible and affordable routes into the field of medicine. AUSOM focuses on equipping its students with a comprehensive education in the field of medicine, centred around providing quality healthcare. The university encourages its students to engage in research activities, fostering a continuous learning environment.
The university offers a program that typically takes four years to complete, split between basic sciences (two years, on-campus) and clinical rotations (two years, mainly in the U.S.). At the time of writing, the estimated cost of tuition is approximately $12,500 per semester for the basic sciences program and $13,500 per semester for the clinical sciences program. These costs do
The interview process at Avalon University School of Medicine is designed to assess not only your academic abilities but also your personal characteristics that may contribute to your success as a future medical professional. Generally, the interviews are conducted on a one-to-one basis and can be in-person or via a video call, depending on the applicant’s location and the current public health guidelines.
The questions are largely structured around your motivation to study medicine, your understanding of the profession, your personal attributes, and your approach to problem-solving and ethical dilemmas. Additionally, be prepared to discuss any aspects of your application, such as academic results, work experience, or personal statement.
AUSOM takes a holistic approach when assessing candidates; therefore, interviewers look beyond grades to consider your communication skills, empathy, resilience, teamwork, and commitment to the field. By demonstrating your unique qualities and sharing your personal experiences, you can leave a lasting impression on the interviewer.
Medical Interview Question Bank
500+ Questions, Model Answers with Expert Techniques & Simulated Interview Circuits
CASPer Online Course
Succeed in the CASPer exam used by Caribbean and US Medical Schools.
Medical Interview Courses
20+ Interview Stations & Expert Feedback. Taught By Medical School Interview Specialists.
Does Avalon University School of Medicine Use the CASPer?
Avalon University School of Medicine does not require applicants to take the CASPer test. The CASPer (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) test is an online situational judgement test used by some medical schools to evaluate an applicant’s professionalism and suitability for a career in medicine. It’s always recommended to check the most up-to-date admissions information directly from the medical school or on their official website. If the CASPer is required, applicants should prepare for this by practising situational judgement and reflecting on their personal experiences and ethical viewpoints.
Optimise Your Interview Performance
Learn the best interview strategies and practice with past interview questions & model answers.
Example Interview Questions
Personal Motivation and Self-Reflection:
- Why have you chosen to study medicine?
- What inspired you to become a doctor?
- How have your experiences prepared you for a career in medicine?
- How do you deal with stress?
- Can you tell us about a time when you faced a significant challenge? How did you handle it?
- How do you define success?
- How do you handle criticism?
Knowledge and Understanding of the Medical Field:
- What do you perceive to be the most significant challenges facing healthcare today?
- How would you handle a situation where a patient refuses treatment?
- What are your thoughts on the increasing cost of medical care?
- How do you feel about alternative or holistic medicine?
- How would you address the issue of health disparities?
- Can you discuss a recent medical advancement that you find interesting?
Problem-Solving and Ethical Questions:
- How would you handle a situation where a patient’s wishes conflict with their best medical interests?
- If a patient asked you about a medical treatment you didn’t agree with, how would you respond?
- How would you handle a mistake you made during treatment?
- What would you do if you disagreed with a colleague’s treatment plan for a patient?
Understanding of the University and Course:
- Why have you chosen to apply to Avalon University School of Medicine specifically?
- How do you think our medical program aligns with your career goals?
- How do you plan to contribute to our university community?
- What aspects of our curriculum are you most excited about?
Teamwork and Leadership:
- Can you provide an example of when you worked in a team to achieve a goal?
- How do you handle conflicts within a team?
- Can you describe a time when you demonstrated leadership?
- How would you handle a team member not fulfilling their responsibilities?